Klingon Language Wiki – Help:
It is the opinion of the owner of this Klingon Language Wiki that the use of te information about the Klingon language
and the use of copyrighted material is permitted and legal (at least following american laws and jurisdiction).
Quote from Wikipedia:
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
- the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
- the nature of the copyrighted work;
- the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
- the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
Statements to this:
- The Klingon Language Wiki is run for nonprofit educational purposes.
- the copyrighted work comes from
- several books
- movies and television shows
- amount and substantiality
- written quotes from canon sources are only written in the shortest possible way. Lenghthy lists of vocabulary will not be used.
- stills from the movies and other images are only used to explain the page where it is used, e.g. showing the cover of a book.
- The use of the quotes and therefore the entire wiki shall encourage any reader to acquire the original works and use them.